Update: Position has been filled. Thank you!
Indigo: Editing, Design, and More seeks an editor to join our team on a contract basis.
Indigo is a firm of freelance publishing professionals that has been providing the best in publishing-related services for traditional publishers and independent authors since 2006. Our clients range from members of the Big Five to authors seeking traditional publication to award-winning indie author-publishers.
Collaborative editor duties include:
- All levels of book editing: developmental, line, and proofreading according to The Chicago Manual of Style and Indigo standards
- Evaluating project samples, suggesting editorial services, and preparing estimates
- Creating and following style sheets
- Collaborating with other editors and designers for timelines and quality of services
- Direct communication with clients during the whole process: determining needs, delivering services, and addressing follow-up questions and concerns
Ideal candidates will have:
- An existing freelance business with room for more clients
- Five years’ professional experience in the book publishing industry
- Experience working with traditional publishers, authors seeking traditional publication, and independent author-publishers
- Proficiency in Word Track Changes and Adobe Acrobat markup
- Expert knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style and ability to work with a house style guide as well as a project style sheet
- Excellent collaboration and customer service skills
- Superior organization skills, attention to detail, and track record of meeting deadlines
- A degree or certificate in book publishing
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit the following materials to Ali Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume and cover letter, including genres you specialize in
- Desired rates
- Work samples of a developmental editing letter, ten pages of line edits, and ten pages of proofreading
- Three client references
While Indigo is based in Portland, Oregon, candidates may work remotely. We will accept resumes and conduct interviews and task-related tests until the position is filled.
Indigo emphasizes long-term mutually beneficial relationships with team members, and this position is best suited for a professional with an existing freelance business who would like another source of clientele. We are not a database service with hundreds of contractors—rather, we have a team of ten with an average length of time with the company coming in at more than five years. We are looking for someone who will be a great long-term addition to the team. If you believe you’re that person, we look forward to talking with you!