Update: Position has been filled. Thank you!
Indigo: Editing, Design, and More seeks a book design and production assistant to join our team on a contract basis.
Indigo is a firm of freelance publishing professionals that has been providing the best in publishing-related services for traditional publishers and independent authors since 2006. Our clients range from members of the Big Five to authors seeking traditional publication to award-winning indie author-publishers.
Design/production assistant duties include:
- Working with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator files that our lead designers have prepared
- Supporting our lead designers by implementing client change requests to files
- Working on both cover and interior book design files
- Troubleshooting production issues in IngramSpark, KDP, and other printer or distributor accounts
- Performing customer service tasks, including listening to client concerns regarding book production and solving the issues at hand
Ideal candidates will have:
- An existing freelance business with room for more clients
- Five years’ professional experience in the book publishing industry
- Experience working with both traditional publishers and independent author-publishers
- Expert knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat markup, and Word comments
- Detailed knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Excellent collaboration and customer service skills
- Superior organization skills, attention to detail, and track record of meeting deadlines
- A degree or certificate in book publishing
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit the following materials to Ali Shaw at email@example.com:
- Resume and cover letter
- Desired rates
- Work samples of book cover design, interior book design, and links to books you have guided through production
- Three client references
While Indigo is based in Portland, Oregon, candidates may work remotely. We will accept resumes and conduct interviews and task-related tests until the position is filled.
Indigo emphasizes long-term mutually beneficial relationships with team members, and this position is best suited for a professional with an existing freelance business who would like another source of clientele. We are not a database service with hundreds of contractors—rather, we have a team of ten with an average length of time with the company coming in at more than five years. We are looking for someone who will be a great long-term addition to the team. If you believe you’re that person, we look forward to talking with you!